Working away has become increasingly popular recently and has opened new doors for many people to further their careers without compromising flexibility. Still, navigating the world of remote work and trying to advance your career can be tricky. How do you ensure that you build on your current skills and stay relevant?
Read on to find eight key tips to help you take your career to the next level as a remote worker. From honing your communication skills to finding mentors and more, these tips are guaranteed to give you the extra boost you need.
What are the benefits of working remotely?
- Assuming you have a good internet connection, working away gives you much freedom regarding schedule and location.
- You can often take on projects outside of traditional work hours, and as long as you get the work done, your employer will likely be happy.
- It can be great for people who need help focusing in traditional office environments or who need to take care of other responsibilities outside of work.
- In addition, working Away means choosing where you want to live. It can be a great perk for people who want to travel or live in different parts of the country (or world). And if you do it right, you can often deduct your remote working expenses from your taxes.
How can I make my resume stand out to employers?
As a remote worker, making your resume stand out to employers can be difficult. Here are a few tips:
- Highlight your remote work experience. Include any relevant skills or experience you have in working remotely.
- Focus on your results. When listing your previous positions, including information on the results you achieved while in that role.
- Use keywords wisely. When applying for jobs, use keywords that will help your resume stand out to employers searching for candidates with your skill set.
- Tailor your resume for each job application. Whenever you apply for a job, ensure your resume highlights the skills and experience most relevant to that position.
- Get creative with your format. If you need help, try using a different format for your resume (such as an infographic or video resume). It can help you stand out and show off your personality and creativity.
What are some common remote worker career paths?
There are a few common remote worker career paths.;
freelancer or consultant.:
One is to become a freelancer or consultant. The process can be accomplished by finding clients through online platforms or word-of-mouth. Once you have a few clients, you can start to build up your portfolio and expand your services.
Remote job with a company:
Another option is to find a remote job with a company. The process can be accomplished by searching job boards or contacting companies directly. Once you find a position that interests you, you can apply and interview.
Advancing your career :
Finally, another option for advancing your career as a remote worker is to start your own business. Create a product or service that meets a market need by identifying a need in the marketplace. Once you have a business plan, you can start raising capital and building your business.
How can I network while working remotely?
Networking is one of the most important things you can do for your career, regardless of whether you work remotely. It can be challenging to the network when you’re not in an office environment, but there are still plenty of ways to connect. Here are a few tips for networking while working remotely:
- Use social media to your advantage. LinkedIn is a great platform for connecting with other professionals, and Twitter can be useful for finding and joining conversations about topics that interest you.
- Attend virtual events and webinars. There are often many online events that you can join, even if you cannot physically attend them. These can be great opportunities to network with other professionals in your field.
- Get involved in online communities. There are likely many online communities related to your industry or profession that you can join. It can be a great way to connect with others who share your interests and goals.
- Stay in touch with your contacts. If you have any professional contacts that you don’t see regularly, make sure to reach out and stay in touch. You never know when those connections might come in handy!
9 Guidelines for Managing Remote Workers
When you work remotely, you are in control of your career advancement. Here are ten guidelines for managing your remote workers to help them be more successful and advance their careers:
- Set clear expectations from the start: Communicate what is expected of them regarding work hours, deadlines, etc.
- Give them the freedom to work how they want:Let them set their schedules and working methods that suit their needs and lifestyle.
- Trust them to do their best work:Remote workers need to feel trusted to be motivated and produce their best results.
- Provide feedback regularly:Give positive and constructive feedback regularly, so people know what they’re doing right and what they need to improve.
- Encourage networking and collaboration: Help your team build relationships with other remote workers and encourage project collaboration.
- Offer opportunities for growth and development:Give them assignments that challenge them and help them develop new skill sets.
7 . Promote a healthy work-life balance: Help people maintain a healthy balance between work and personal life by providing flexible schedules and opportunities for breaks/vacations
8 .Support their mental health: Working away can sometimes be isolating, so provide resources and support to help them stay mentally healthy.
- Keep communication lines open: Maintain open communication channels so they can easily reach out with questions, concerns, or ideas
Are there any disadvantages to working remotely?
There are a few potential disadvantages to working virtually that are worth considering:
- Working from home can be isolating and lonely. You can miss out on the social aspects of being in an office, making it harder to stay motivated and focused.
- You may find it more difficult to advance your career if you’re not in regular contact with your boss and colleagues.
- You may need to invest in a good home office setup, including a reliable computer and fast internet connection, which can be costly.
Remote work presents many opportunities to advance one’s career, but careful consideration and planning are necessary. With the right strategy in place, remote workers can continue to improve their skills and build successful careers without ever having to leave home. By taking advantage of virtual resources such as online courses, networking events, and professional mentorships, remote workers can take their careers further than they ever thought possible.